Full-time Staff: Financial Aid Specialist
- Apr 05, 2024
- Kirtland, Ohio, United States
- Administrative and Staff - Full Time Positions
Financial Aid Specialist
General Description of Position: Responsible for assisting in the administration of federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs.
- Performs federal verification of student aid application data and resolves C-code flags and conflicting information discrepancies in accordance with federal, state, and institutional policies.
- Provides financial aid counseling to students.
- Monitors financial aid awards for compliance and adjusts awards as necessary to prevent over awards.
- Manages the Federal Work Study program including maintaining FWS records, reconciling financial aid records with Human Resources and the Business Office and generating FWS reports regarding employed FWS students.
- Assists in the management of the State of Ohio scholarship and grant programs which includes verification of eligibility and the reconciliation of funds.
- Assists with annual audit preparations.
- Evaluates, establishes, implements, and documents policies and procedures that reflect institutional or regulatory changes related to areas of responsibility.
- Produce reports as needed.
- Customer service (phone, email, and in-person) to students, parents, campus partners and stakeholders.
- Attend annual conferences and/or webinars to stay current with the rules and regulations of financial aid.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education/Training and Experience Required/Preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, though direct financial aid experience may be substituted.
- Experience working in a position with responsibilities for providing customer service for sometimes complex and detailed transactions, working with electronic databases, and maintaining files and information according to office business or industry standards.
- Experience in a college financial aid office preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office/Microsoft 365 and online meeting software;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, detail-oriented, highly organized, able to balance priorities, take initiative, and be reliable and resourceful;
- Competency in following oral and written instructions; preparing reports; performing mathematical calculations;
- Experience with an integrated information system (Ellucian Banner preferred);
- Ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines, and successfully function within a fast-paced, high-volume dynamic environment in a variety of situations, while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to manage data – both reporting and interpreting of financial aid information;
- Strong commitment to enrollment management principles, customer service, and teamwork; and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; operate standard office equipment; perform routine and detailed tasks in an accurate and efficient manner; meet deadlines; relate with students who are applicants/recipients of financial aid/grants.
Physical Activity Level
Sedentary – Mostly sitting, occasional standing and lifting up to 10 lbs.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a full-time, continuing status staff position. The work schedule of 40 hours per week requires flexibility for occasional evening (until 6:00 PM) and weekend (e.g., Saturday morning) hours. The campus closes at 12 pm on Fridays.
This position is classified at pay grade 06A on the Staff Salary Schedule. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plus paid time away (sick, personal, vacation, and holiday). See Benefits for Full-time Staff.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Apply for this position through the college’s Human Resources website. Please be prepared to do the following:
- Complete all questions in the application*
- Attach a current resume
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
*To avoid difficulties when submitting your application, be sure your web browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer) is updated to the latest version and allow yourself sufficient time to complete the application since you WILL NOT be able to save a partially completed application and work on it later.
Lakeland Community College is an equal access and equal opportunity employer. We have a strong commitment to the principle of diversity and, in that spirit, seek a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, people with disabilities and people over 40. Under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. If your disability requires special accommodations to participate in the application/interview process, contact the Human Resources Office at 440-525-7575.